Lower Dauphin Alumni Association
1989 – 2018
29 Years of Service to the Students and Alumni of LDHS
- Convener – Dr. Judith T. Witmer, then Principal for Academics, LDHS, later Asst. to the Supt., LDSD
- First meeting – April 15, 1989
- Founding Members: Catherine Reed Eshenour ’66; Marjorie Park Cassel ’65; Russel E. Cassel; Carl W. Espenshade ’62; Nancy L. Hivner ’72; Elizabeth Musser Radle ’62; Joseph M. Snavely ’83; Jean Deimler Seibert ’65; Kirk (Wade) Seibert ’65.
- Current Officers: President- Russel E. Cassel ’65; 1st Vice President- Elizabeth Musser Radle ’62; 2nd Vice President - Carl Espenshade -’62, Secretary - Kathy Imhof Weber ’74; Treasurer- George Kline ’72, Correspondence Secretary - Barbara Olson Bowser ’62.
- Current Board Members: Tom Ball ’86, Allison Collins ’94, Karen Espenshade Elliott ’67, Faith Gilberg Lex ’99, Susan Petrina ’65, Elaine Mader Royer’65, . Number of members – technically anyone who was graduated from LDHS 14,000; sustaining (paying for a membership) members – approx. 600
- Ex Officio: Dr. Judith Witmer
- LDAA is an independent organization, not funded by the school district.
Purpose: to collect and preserve historical artifacts, design fundraising projects to support student activities and academics, and plan programs by which alumni continue their involvement in their Alma Mater.
Activities and contributions:
- Board meets bi-monthly
- Sponsored the Golden Jubilee: 50th Anniversary Celebration, 2010
- Maintain a database of alumni addresses
- Publish an Alumni Directory – Latest in 2015
- Active in Homecoming
- Homecoming 1989 – first participation ; 1990 – first Alumni Band and a float featuring past Homecoming Queens; later, Alumni Cheerleaders
- Various groups are honored at Homecoming; the following to date: wrestlers, football teams, field hockey, the first Championship Football Team (1960), the band, and major half-time program in 2010 honoring the undefeated “Team ’70”, Distinguished Alumni Awards.
- After-game Indoor Tailgate Reception
- Falcon Pride newsletter, began fall 1989
- Purchase and Installation of a Falcon Pride sign board in the gymnasium
- Purchase and Installation of an Award Plaque honoring LDAA scholarship winners
- Scholarship, supported by the Falcon Alumni Trust. We have awarded twenty-nine scholarships since the inception of the award in 1990. We manage several other scholarships funded by various alumni groups and individuals.
- Installation of Alumni Lobby which includes a large walk-in Show Case used for museum quality exhibits that change several times a year
Honor Distinguished Alumni: Refer to Distinguished Alumni/Alumnus page for updated list.