The following are a listing of rules and regulations for pupil passengers on district transportation:Rules and Regulations for Pupil Passengers
At All Times
Your school day begins when you step off your property to board the bus. Therefore, you are under the rules and regulations of Lower Dauphin School District. All rules and regulations apply while being transported to and from school. Your driver is an employee, and according to law, has the right to enforce and discipline students when necessary.Exercise caution, good manners and consideration for other people. Obey the driver; his/her first concern is for your safety.Waiting for the bus
Boarding the bus
- Be at your stop five minutes ahead of time.
- When the bus approaches, get in line.
- Stay clear of the bus until it has come to a complete stop.
- Let smaller children board first.
- Your bus driver has a schedule to keep. If you are not at the bus stop, he can’t wait for you.
- Always use the handrail.
- Go up the steps one at a time.
- Don’t push or crowd others.
- Go directly to your seat. The bus will not move until all passengers are seated. Regulations do not permit passengers to stand in a moving school bus.
Conduct on the bus
- Place books or parcels on your lap.
- Keep the aisle clear.
- Avoid loud talking, the use of profanity and causing confusion that might distract your driver.
- You can help the driver when the bus approaches railroad tracks by keeping quiet so that he can listen for trains.
- Ask the driver for permission before opening windows.
- Keep arms and head inside the bus.
- Students should not throw anything into or out of the bus.
- The emergency door and exit controls may be used only during supervised drills or actual emergencies.
- The bus is not a playground. Save wrestling and horseplay for another time.
- Don’t smoke or chew tobacco.
- Remain seated until the bus has come to a complete stop at its destination or your bus stop.
- Help your drivers to keep the bus clean and in good shape.
- Don’t eat on the bus, write on the seat backs, or throw things on the floor.
Getting off the bus
After you leave the bus go directly to your assigned place or home. You must have a written request from your parents approved by your building principal before you can ride a bus other than your assigned bus. A written request is also necessary to get off at a stop other than your own.Procedures for Disciplinary Actions for Student Misconduct
- Use the handrail and take one step at a time.
- Pushing or crowding could cause an accident.
The driver of any school bus shall be held responsible for the orderly conduct and safety of the pupils transported. Continued disorderly conduct or refusal to respect the authority of the school bus driver shall be sufficient reason for the pupil to be denied transportation in accordance with regulations of the district.
Driver shall report misconduct of pupil to building principal after pupil refuses to cooperate with bus driver's directions.
First Offense – Building principal shall call the offending pupil to the office and discuss the problem or infraction and verbally warn the pupil that he will lose his riding privilege if the misconduct continues.
Second Offense – A letter will be sent by the building principal to the student's parents or guardians informing them of the second offense and warning them that another offense will mean withdrawal of riding privileges.
Third Offense – A letter will be sent to parents or guardians informing them that the student’s riding privilege has been withdrawn for a minimum of three days; maximum five days. The student’s parents must come to the school for a conference with the building principal before the student’s riding privileges will be reinstated.
Fourth Offense – The student is reported to the superintendent who will inform the parents that the student has lost the privilege of riding the bus for a maximum of one year.
These guidelines are provided for your information but may be modified by the building principal in accordance to individual circumstances.
For more information contact:
Scott Downey, Transportation Coordinator
Lower Dauphin School District101 E. High Street
Hummelstown, PA 17036717-566-5340